Table of Contents
Being the most crucial part of education, exams are huge stress for all college students. Moreover, anxiety has a harmful effect on test results because it often prevents human brain from functioning properly. Thus, it is essential to know how to deal with stress that comes during intense exam period and stay calm when going through this major evaluation of students’ knowledge.
- Realize expectations. You will be more likely to handle the test successfully if you know exactly what will be asked during the test. Check your syllabus for more information and learn the indicated material thoroughly.
- Choose study environment that is similar to the exam room. In such circumstances, it will be easier to absorb new information and retrieve it later during the test.
- Take notes carefully. Do not rely on your textbook material only. Lecture notes are also essential when preparing for the exam. So, pay attention to the information emphasized by your professor and make sure to learn it before the test.
- Plan your time. Avoid cramming the material during the last day before the exam. Instead, allow yourself enough time to prepare and study the material mentioned in the syllabus.
- Take breaks when studying. It is impossible to make human brain stay focused on studying longer than 45 minutes. So, take frequent breaks and renew your strength. Drink some water, have a snack and relax during your short breaks.
- Eat healthy food. Increase brain productivity by consuming healthy products such as salmon, nuts, bananas and vegetables. Avoid stuffing your stomach with chips, pizza and coffee.
- Sleep well. It is essential to have a healthy sleep the night before the exam. Even if you rely on the last night hoping to learn all the material, make sure you give yourself at least 7 hours of good sleep.
Relieving Stress on Exam Day
- Eat breakfast and stay hydrated. Giving your body additional energy by having a healthy breakfast and drinking enough liquid is important. In addition, you will avoid being distracted by your noisy tummy during the exam.
- Arrive beforehand. Avoid experiencing additional stress by arriving late. Set the alarm clock and make sure you arrive at least 15 munities before the exam.
- Pay special attention to exam instructions. Know exactly what is expected from you during the test. Look through the test questions and decide how much time it will take to answer each of them.
Avoiding Anxiety During the Test
- Do not rush. Calm down your nerves and start with the easiest questions of the test. If you happen to stick at some point, skip the question and return to it at the end of the exam.
- Ask the instructor for help. Do not waste time if you cannot understand the requirements of the test. Ask your instructor for clarifications.
- Chew a gum. Keeping your mouth busy will help you to concentrate on exam and experience less anxiety.
Now it is clear how to stay focused during the exam and relieve stress. Good luck at the test!